Ulcer under seal of stoma bag

• 10 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi guys my husband has an ulcer about the size of a 5p just by the opening of his stoma this is the 2nd time this has happened in 6 weeks. The first time he was having chemo so we blamed the skin break down on this but today it has happened again. 

We send pics of it to our stoma nurses and they prescribe steroid tape and advise daily dressing and bag changing he usually only changes his bag every 3 days as he has the emptying kind. 

My questions are what can we do to prevent this keep happening  he uses the ring seals under his bag as his stoma sits flush to his abdomen and we were advised to use the wax rings but I'm worried they are rubbing and causing the sore spot. 

We use the adhesive spray for bag removal and just clean the area with soap and water and shave once a week as he is very furry.... Smiley 

Any advice greatfully received. 

Thanks Blush 

• Hi sorry to hear your husband is having problems.

I was told never to use soap only water.I use convex bags and change alternate days.

Dont know if that is of any help

Kath

• Hello DIFarmgirl,

That sounds like a bit of a nuisance. Slight bleeding from the stoma surface is common and clears up quickly. From day one I was told not to use soap or other common agents to clean the skin around the stoma and to use only water, followed by a dry wipe. Never use wet wipes (apart from a Salts adhesive remover wipe) as these often contain moisturiser which can prevent adequate adhesion. I try to cut the hole in the flange quite accurately to match my stoma profile and minimise exposure of my skin to the potentially aggressive contents of the pouch. Although skin is sensitive to the action of the contents the stoma itself (being part of the intestine) is tough and not adversely affected. The adhesive remover spray is very effective at doing just that (again, I was told to use it sparingly) and I hold the adhesive flange and ease my skin away from it rather than vice versa. Treating the skin with a Fusion applicator applies a thin barrier to the area and enhances adhesion of the pouch. Early on I tried a mouldable ring to aid the application of the pouch but it wasn't very effective so I go without those now. It was recommended to me that a drainable pouch should be changed every 48 hours and I do this without fail to reduce any risk of soreness developing. I do hope that things improve for your husband.

Dulac

• Thank you for your advice we seem to get conflicting advice from each stoma nurse we see. They have said he needs the ring because his stoma is flush with the skin of his belly so it doesn't protrude and they think the rings help stop leakage. He doesn't suffer with leaks thank goodness but the ulcer is In the same spot so something  is causing it. 

We do usually only use water but when he shaves we have to use soap or he gets razor rash. It's quite stressful for us both when we were hoping to enjoy some time off treatment. 

Thanks again for your advice

Debs 

• Thank you I think he is leaving too long between bag changes although that's what we were told if its not leaking leave it up to 4 days. Such conflicting advice from stoma care nurses. 

Thanks for your help. 

Debs

• I just read your bio, what an upbeat read it was, just what I needed to hear today when we were both feeling a bit rubbish. 

Good luck for your continued good health. 

Debs 

• Hi  

I’m sorry to see your husband is having this issue. My stoma is also flush with my skin and I have never used the ring seals on my colostomy. I have a closed pouch so change it regularly, in part to stop my skin becoming sore if any output sits at the top of the stoma and doesn’t drop done into the bag.

I’m presuming your husband has an ileostomy since his bag is the drainable type? Have you tried not using the rings? I would echo Dulac’s advice to make sure the hole is accurately cut in the bag and can also recommend the Fusion applicators. I wonder too if changing to a convex bag might also be helpful-you could get some free samples to try? I have a urostomy which is slightly inverted and changing to convex bag with that made a huge difference to my skin.

Hope you can find a solution which helps. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• For both stomas - one flat, one raised - I use a standard disposable razor with a built-in lubricating strip, in conjunction with plain water, dry wipe and a Salts adhesive remover wipe. The latter evaporates quickly and seems to prepare the skin for maximum adhesion. I cut the top off a 1 litre tonic water plastic bottle (after drinking it with a decent London gin by the way) so that the diameter is slightly larger than the stoma and I hold it in place by the screw cap whilst shaving carefully.. It acts as a guard and can be washed and re-used. The last thing we need is a razor nick in the area of the stoma pouch.

I use a pouch that incorporates a hard plastic ring which is pressed lightly on its circumference to fully adhere it before applying pressure to the rest of the flange. I believe the ring acts as the first line of defence against the contents beginning to spread beyond the limit of the stoma. Major leaks are obviously a nuisance, but minor leaks can occur without revealing themselves and this might just irritate the skin, particularly after three days contact. For about two years now I have not had a problem (touch wood and whistle!) and stick rigorously to routine.

Dulac

• Hi thanks for this info. He actually has a colostomy bag he uses the convex bags already but we haven't heard about the fusion applicators so will try and ask about that. Our stoma team are great Once something happens but not so great about prevention and explaining causes of these things happening and we never see the same nurse and so get very different and sometimes conflicting advice. 

Thanks for your reply. 

Debs x  

• The applicators will provide a skin barrier when applied, and extra adhesion. Dulac is correct too when mentioning the minor leaks which can irritate the skin without actually leaking beyond the bag-I used to use drainable bags when my colostomy was new, and output more liquid, but find the closed bags much better.

However, I would never have kept either type of bag on for several days as I’m sure my skin would have felt very irritated. I’ve had my colostomy for 4 years, and don’t have issues with my skin, thankfully,

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi there

I had similar in the beginning and used Eakin slim and convex bags. 
    Once my stoma was formed and protruding I tried the flat type of bags but found all the brands even the sensitive ones caused a reaction.
    They caused inflammation and irritation. Drove me nuts so back to the Eakin slims and SenSura Mio convex 

The Eakin slims are a putty type of washer that gave my stoma protection and the convex bags fitted perfectly around that so my stoma had a type of cushion washer snuggly around it 

I hope things improve  I too didn’t use any soap or shower gel near my stoma  

Best wishes 

Ann
     ‍Art