Stoma size

• 4 replies
  • 9 subscribers

I was measured at the clinic about 2months ago and my stoma had reduced to 46 but the lead stoma nurse discovered I had a hernia, nothing to worry about! Since then the hernia has got bigger and do has my stoma! Last time a stoma nurse measured me, it was 52! Some days the stoma swells other days it's quite flat! Does anyone know if this is normal with a hernia or do I need to get in touch with stoma nurse again? I feel like I'm being a hypochondriac! No other problems with the stoma, thank goodness! 

Moira x

• Hi Moria,

I would definitely give the stoma nurse a call, they will be happy to help, even if it’s just to give you reassurance. I don’t have a hernia but I have had my stoma for 6 months now, and I have noticed it swells just before and during output, then shrinks back down again very quickly. Good luck x

• I'll think you're right, I'll give the stoma nurse a call, it can't do any harm and it's better than worrying! Thanks a lot for your help, I actually think it's happing more when it's active but having the hernia makes it balloon more!

Moira x

• Hi Moira, I had a hernia with my ileostomy, it was quite a bulge, but I never saw the stoma itself change in the way you are describing. Mine did shrink and swell as I think they all do but never enough to cause me alarm. Definitely worth a call to check it out.

All the best

John

• Hi John,

it's a colostomy I have and I thought I was doing so well, then the hernia happened! I was going to phone the stoma nurse today but it seems to have settled down again! I will phone though because it doesn't seem right to have gone from 46 to 52, I, of course, should have asked the nurse at the time! Thanks John for reassuring me,

Regards, Moira.