Has any had a temporary Ileostomy due to a rectal vaginal fistula?

• 3 replies
  • 8 subscribers

I had surgery 12 weeks ago to remove a rectal tumour. Less then 2 weeks later I had developed a rectal vaginal fistula, wind and stool was leaking through my front. I went back to theatre to fit a temporary Ileostomy, which the surgeon said was allow the fistula to heal? I don’t believe this is the case as yet. I’m 10 weeks post op and they’re wanting to do a water soluble contrast enema. Anyone else had anything similar, I’m struggling to find anyone who’s is or has been in a similar situation. Thanks xx

• Hi

It sounds like you've been through a very difficult time recently and I can understand why you'd want to connect with others who may have had a similar experience to yourself.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you also post this in the bowel cancer group as it's a much more active group than this one. If this is something that you'd like to do clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

While you're waiting for replies it would be great if you could pop something about your journey with cancer into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Scared Mummy

How are you?

Ive got something similar to you though a different way around. I had cancer removed with a LAR op and temporary ileostomy. I went for the gastrografin test which showed my bowel was fine but there’s now a gas leak from the vagina. I think that my cancer was huge and in the operation that removal caused a fistula so that I had discharge from there after the operation. 
    Ive contacted my team but they’re not getting back to me. I will contact them daily to find out what if anything can be done. 
    I really hope that you’ve had a positive outcome. 
    I became Dr Google and terrified myself so I’m not doing that again. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi

i wanted to add this in case others have had this happen to them hoping it gives some reassurance.
    I’ve spoken to my Nurse who has explained my concerns to my surgeon. He will see me before performing an EAU to make sure that I’m okay for a reversal. He isn’t concerned that there’s a connection so I’m feeling positive.
    I will update my results here for future reference.

Ann
     ‍Art