Adjuvant chemo: capecitabine with an illeostomy?

• 4 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi,

I've had bowel surgery and liver surgery this year. I am about to start six months of chemo. I've have been offered the option to take oral chemo for two weeks of a three weekly cycle. But I have been warned that very often capecitabine cause diarrhea and this is hard to deal with if you have an illeostomy as I do. We are more likely to become dehydrated as it is. My oncologist said some people end up with the tablets ending up in the their bag! 

I have said I will give it a go and if it doesn't work I can switch to an weekly IV option but I was wondering if anyone has taken capecitabine with an illeostomy and was it okay?

SazzyJ

• I had capecitabine combined with oxaliplatin while I had an ileostomy (this was back  in 2012 and the ileostomy was reversed in 2013). I had trouble in cycle 2 because I got very dehydrated and ended up in hospital on a drip.My ileostomy then went into overdrive which was 'interesting'! After that I was very careful to keep my fluid intake up and had no problems. It can be done and I have now been fine for getting on for 8 years. Good luck!

• Hi Sazzy J

I had four cycles of Capox while I  had an ileostomy. The oncolgist said that Cape might affect the output, would I like six months of something else. I declined her kind offer and said I would cope. I managed the output with Loperamide taking two half an hour before each meal. You can take a lot more than that if you need it. Even when the second round knocked me down a bit (lot) it didn't affect the output. I never saw a Cape tablet in the bag though I saw an occasional Loper!

I hope it all goes well for you, Best wishes, John

• Thanks. Sounds like I will need to be careful about staying hydrated. Well done on the 8 years, that is always good to hear.

• Thank you.  Can see how using the laperomide can be of help.