Sore stoma

• 31 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hello all,

The skin around my stoma is red and raw. It is also sore.

Please can anyone suggest what to use? I  have a little bit of face cream (which I won't put on my face anymore) and I tried camomile lotion and both of these haven't worked.

Thank you,

Lisa xxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lisa

What have you been doing to get broken skin?

Obviously you have checked to make sure pouch fits correctly. 

In the meantime what can we do to repair the skin I would be wary of hand cream and it's contents and would suggest the following to try

1. Creams or powders (some types start as creams and change to powders on applying) suitable for a babies nappy rash and I do know that your well passed the nappy stage, but anything that sorts out a babies rash should be okay.

2, Head and Shoulders ZINC no fancy fragrances in other words fragrance free. After washing the area pat dry then take a spot of shampoo about the size of pea and gently rub into effected area and leave on for 3 or 4 minutes then carefully wipe off. If you use a barrier film (spray or wipe) apply now and continue to apply your pouch in the normal was but you must make sure that your skin can take the pouch adhesive and keep stuck.

3. Before you do any of the above and providing that Mount Etna aka Mount Vesuvius is not being playful and spraying volcanic lava over the place to the sound of Handel''s Water Music you could try and not apply anything over the area including pouch and be au naturale and let the air get to the sore bit and give it a chance to dry out.

4. You could trying using stoma powder over the sore bits but you do have to mix it into sores until a crust forms then get rid of any powder before applying pouch.

5. You could try silicon gel and seals to see if they would help, they are supposed not to absorb moisture or body waste nor break down.

www.trioostomycare.com

Will give you samples of seals, gel, flange extenders, (all silicone) together with their other products.

(Warning: after you contact them and they send you samples they will make follow up calls and they may and have pass your contact details to a supply company, but don't let that put you off ask anyway if you're lucky you might even end up with a red apron with a strangely positioned carrot for free!).

Ian

No taking your uncovered stoma out for walk!

• Hi Ian,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I haven't got any stoma powder. When I was in hospital, I asked the stoma nurse for it and she told me that they don't recommend it, as the stoma bag would not stick!. So I haven't really thought it. I have Cuticura Midly Medicated powder. I thought I may use this over the weekend and call the stoma nurse on Monday. She probably get back me in 2 weeks time.

Love ya,

Lisa xxx 

Lisa

xxxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LisaCardiff

His back

You know what's coming next - YES  -  it's ask the manufacturers to send you samples.

Your stoma nurse was correct in saying ithat will effect the pouch adhesive and won't stick that is why you have to lightly dust the area and gently mix it up then remove any residue and make sure the powder has mixed into the soreness and has formed a crust.

The nurses are probably fed up,  tired of hearing my pouch won't stick and it because of powder being applied and the pouch slapped on.

Try and get samples of BARRIER CREAM this might help also.

If you need names and places to go let me know on the other side (friends message) and I will the list to you.

Didn't you like the au naturale suggestion,I suppose it's too cold in Caerdydd, Cymru for that type of thing.

Hwyl fawr.

Ian

• Hi Ian,

You are right I don't fancy the natural look. Krakatoa will start erupting. But thank you for the suggestion.

I have been sent a link by a lovely lady from this site, for a powder sample and I have just completed the form.

You are more fluent at Welsh than I am. However you can ask me to recite any ABBA, Dolly Parton or Madness songs, that I can do.

Have a good one,

Lisa xxx 

Lisa

xxxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember

Hi Lisa,

I had my loop ileostomy in October and had terrible trouble with soreness and itching around my stoma, stoma nurse gave me different bags,powder and barrier wipes to try it is only in the last few weeks I have got bags that don't irritate. They are from salts and have aloe Vera in the backing I also use the peri sensitive wipes and the aloe rings and am pleased to say no more soreness. I too find getting a shower without my bag eases the skin I just wipe round the stoma gently. Good luck.

Pat

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Pat and all

I have been using the Salts Peri-Prep sensitive wipe for a year now, I like the fact they make my skin very tacky which helps in getting the pouch to stick.

But did you know that Salts have a seal with a collar named 

Salts Dermacol

They are just like the usual type of seal except that they have a collar which goes into the pouch (not a long way) and guides the poo into the pouch thus avoiding leakages and sore skin.

The seals come in different sizes so there is no tugging and stretching to get the right size.

Ian9

• Hi Pats and Ian,

Thank you for your replies.

I quite like the idea/sound of the dermacol salts. I look into them and try and get a sample.

Have a lovely weekend.

Lisa xxx 

Lisa

xxxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember

Lisa

Your local Salts Medilink customer care centre is at

Salts Medilink
    3 Hickman Rd
    Penarth
    South Glamorgan CF64 2AJ

Freephone 0800 626388
    Fax 02920 703086

Ian

Supplied for information only not as a recommendation 

• Don't know if it will help but when my hubby found himself in the same boat with nothing working, his stoma nurse gave him a brown asthma inhaler and told him to squirt a couple of puffs onto the sore patch as part of his change routine.  He was sceptical but it was like some kind of miracle and cleared up within a few days.  Now he has a spray added to his regular script for his stoma supplies with a note on that states it is for external use/stoma care.  I think the name of the spray is beclometasone dipropionate.  Worth a try?

• Thank you Em and Ian,

I'll phone Penarth tomorrow and I will certainly ask the stoma nurse about the asthma inhaler

Love ya,

Lisa xxx

Lisa

xxxxxxxxxx