Suddenly surrounded by religion

• 4 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Nothing seems to bring out the religious platitudes like having cancer. Just saying.

It's an element of having cancer that took me completely by surprise.

That is all.

• Hi Suki Silver,

I seem to have luckily missed any of that thank goodness.  How are you dealing with it? X

• I'm an atheist. But I have many friends - and also family members - who believe in various religions.

My own take on it is that, historically, religious beliefs have developed precisely in order to allow people to mentally cope with random occurrences ('acts of god', indeed), and to offer a framework within to rationalize all such occurrences. And, of course, the principal such occurrences are sickness, and death.

I once had an excellent and very well-qualified scientific manager (he was an engineering professor), who was a committed Christian, and whose wife unexpectedly died. When I went to see him in order to express my sympathy, he was grateful - but he also commented that his wife was now 'in a much better place', and that he would see her again in due course. I appreciated the comfort that those beliefs gave him, even though I do not share them myself.

For my part, now, in trying to deal with my wife's illness, I very much value any and every positive thought which friends and family might offer to us. And if friends tell me that they are 'praying for' us, I happily tell them that we will take whatever help we can get! I don't try to separate any such sentiments from those of, say, other friends, who more simply send waves of hope and love in our direction.

Apologies for the mini essay! My own experience is that people are simply trying to help, in whatever ways they can.

All the best to you, in whatever you're having to deal with.

• Hi all,

I can relate to that too Suki, month in after my diagnosis and all my relatives and friends that are religious are bringing up religion and prayers continuously, which like you said, I did not expect or think about being an atheist myself.

But I see it as a way for them to cope with having a loved one going through this situation so I just thank them and change topic.

It's like the several YouTube videos I'm also getting daily from people about what to eat, what no to eat, miracle cures and all other sorts of videos I have no interest on of they lack science of facts backing them, but again, I thank them and move on Slight smile

Wishing you all the best in your own journeys!

Jess