Hospital Secretaries With Attitude!!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 16 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi all,

Warning. Rant ahead.

Dad has just come out of having a 3 hour laparotomy. Mom was told by the hospital to go and collect him......so she went back to where they dropped him off....only to be confronted by a snotty receptionist who dismissed Mom and told her that "I hadn't told you to come here".  As in, what on earth are you doing bothering me???!!! 

When Mom queried where my Dad was, she was virtually told to find him herself....now this is a receptionist in a scanning area for mostly cancer patients.

Mom wandered the hospital to try and find my Dad and was then confronted by another unhelpful receptionist asing "why have you been sent to me???".  Obviously, it was clearly Mom's fault that she didn't know exactly where to find my Dad (never having visited a cancer department before).

This is now the third snotty receptionist Mom has encountered and it's a good job I wasn't with her because I'd remind her that she is in a very, very lucky position not to be on the other side of the counter.

The doctors, surgeons, Macmillan nurses have all been amazing.  So why do the receptionists / medical secretary's think they can speak to cancer patients and their families in this way???

I am SO angry.  If any receptionists / secretaries read these blogs.  Think on.  It might be you one day.  Lose the attitude or get another job.

Rant over.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

They Sarah are one of the classes of people with a power complex . The smaller the job and the more mundane it is , done easily by anyone who can read and write, then the larger the complex to justify to themselves how important they are while they really know they are  dogsbodies , they cannot take pride in a simple but important job done weell.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Well, it's sort of reassuring that I'm not the only one to feel miffed at poor customer service! Mind you, our Macmillan nurse more than makes up for any poor attitude - she's absolutely wonderful, as is my Dad's surgeon and the team around him.

I'm going with Dad to the hospital on Thursday, so, I'll watch out for snotty attitude and I'll stamp on it on behalf of all of us on here!!

Love to you all xxx

• FormerMember

Hi,

Its the power thing going on. I have come across it so often. Little Hitler's who go out of there way to be difficult. I think they have taken a degree in attitude. It must be a critera for aplication.

THe worst i came across was the reception staff in radiotherapy. Oh my god, did not even try to communicate with the patient. THey would look at there computer while taking to the patient then point without looking at them. I always recall seeing one man who was in a wheel chair waiting two hours following his radiotherapy because he dare not ask the reception staff about his transport. It took  a a radiotherapist to ask him why he was still in reception area. There was also one occasion when they reception staff were all talking about going out on a leaving do at the weekend whilst patients were waiting for their treatment to be booked. I could not believe what i was seeing...all having a laugh..then the patients sat there is a state..still in shock..

Don't even get me going about G.P receptionists..have had many a run in with those power crazy idiots.. 

Like the idea of stamping all over them...xxxx

• FormerMember

Why is it that that we are now impressed when people do their job well? 

We had to get a new GP when my husband was diagnosed (long story) anyway I "phoned round" a list  I made from Yellow Pages of GP's in the new area we were living in - they couldn't have been less helpful.

Eventually I ended up phoning the Health Board in Glasgow for advice - Spoke to lovely woman (see what I mean) who said - I can't recommend any particular doctor but I'll give you a list - so she went through her "list" and basically "sent" me to one particular GP even though she was "not allowed" too-

I rang them and was greeted by the grufffest Glaswegian accent I had ever heard -I told her "our story"(in tears)  and she said "No problem hen - I 'll get the forms ready - can you come in? No problem if you can't I'll drop them off on my way home"

I cannot tell you how brilliant they are (There are 3 receptionists and EVERY one of them is great)  and every time I see one of the GP's (which is alot) I tell them how FANTASTIC their receptionists are - they are always really chuffed. I have also told the receptionists what a great job they are doing and how impressed I am with them.

So, my point is IF you get bad service tell the boss but also If you get GOOD service tell them AND their boss!

• FormerMember

Please don't think all receptionists are rude and unhelpful, I'm a receptionist in a busy NHS dental practice and like to think that I offer a caring attitude,yes there are times when I feel like dismissing a patient n the quickest way possible, but that is usually because it is a patient with attitude who is determined to be rude and awkward. Having said that there is one particular lady at our GP's, it doesn't matter how you approach her it is always too much trouble, why are people in that kind of job if they can't interact with the puplic and treat them like human beings...beats me.I wonder what their reaction would be if we treated them the same way, trouble is we are too polite to try it.

Well thats my view, hope it makes sense

Jackie.

• Flo no idea who I got today then because both were rude and unhelpful and incredibly patronising at CGH!