Mum’s cancer is back, don’t know how to tell my brother

• 1 reply
  • 23 subscribers

Whilst we won’t know the exact trajectory of things until the oncologist reviews her after the weekend, we do know the cancer is back and in multiple places. Having both of us in a healthcare background, it is hard to think positively right now and I think of what’s to come. Our family situation is a bit difficult, with an estranged father/ex-husband, and my autistic, adult brother who lives at home with her. My brother has been facing challenges with his mental health over the past year or so, and seems to be doing better, but I’m worried as to how this news is going to go. And factoring how the autism impacts how he processes his feelings.

There are a lot of worries around what will happen to him as my mum does everything for him. He is independent with most needs but needs prompting and supporting with meals/general financial affairs. I live away but have taken time off to come down to see her in hospital and stay with my brother. He is not keen on hospitals due to the environment so bringing him in to see mum isn’t an option. My difficulty lies in how to break this news to him, and to try not overwhelm him with the worry I’m having about managing everything if the situation turns out the way I expect. Worry tends to be the main trigger for his meltdowns and I want to make sure that how I say things can avoid this as much as possible. I know at the moment we don’t have all the answers, but it’s very hard not think about the worst outcome. If anyone has any advice or a similar experience, I would be thankful for your support. 

• Hi  

sorry to hear about everything you are going though at the moment, it can be hard when we do not know what will happen and easy to think things will be the worst - I know I felt a bit like that at some points in my wife's journey.

We have an autistic son and we have always been open with him about Janice's treatment. I did struggle in the early days since we understood a cure was not likely to be possible and we felt it important not to create a false sense of optimism.

We do have a guide talking to children and teenagers and I wonder if some of the tips in there might be helpful.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge