Husband - CML

• 1 reply
  • 27 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed with Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia when our little girl was 4 weeks old. He had no symptoms and it was found after having an accident at work. It has been 8 months and I think I’ve just been in denial and just been powering through for him and the baby. He has been struggling with a number of side effects from the medication for some time and it’s really hard to watch. I just feel like we’ve been robbed of our little baby bubble and happy family life (the little one is out first baby). I finally broke down today and just feel like all of the emotions I have been keeping at bay have come out. What is the best ways for me to support him? Has anyone else been in a similar situation and can share some positive news that things get better? 
I’m trying to be strong for him and our little girl but could be doing with some support myself. We have great families and friends but I don’t want to trouble them with my worries all the time. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

It sounds like you and your husband have had a difficult 8 months so I can understand you wanting to find others who have had positive outcomes.

As you know, the online community is divided into different support forums so I'm going to recommend that you join the chronic myeloid leukaemia forum which is a great place to ask questions and share experiences with others who have a similar diagnosis to your husband.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your husband's diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"