Feeling really alone and unsupported

• 1 reply
  • 31 subscribers

Well just that really. I feel like I'm carrying the entire emotional and mental load for my family right now. And my partner in particular is being really unsupported.

My dad has stage 4 mouth cancer. He has a tumor in his tongue and he's about to start his second round of Chemotherapy. My dad's a frustrating individual who doesn't really do a lot to help himself. He hasn't made any arrangements for his dogs while he's in hospital, which means I have to have them as it's too late to book Kennels or boarding now. My partner is absolutely furious about this. Mostly because he has just found out at short notice that he's having a procedure to remove a wart from his eye lid on Wednesday and now he's using that as an reason to not have the dogs. My brother won't have them because he's 'busy' but my brother's always too 'busy' to help and if he does turn up then he makes sure you know how much of his precious time he's sacrificed to be there. Now my brother and dad really don't get on. They wind each other up completely the wrong way. My brother's sort of washed his hands a bit with my dad. My brother even told me my partner should cancel his eye appointment. But yet my brother wouldn't even cancel an afternoon in his friends garden.

The one really supportive person in my life is my partner's dad. He's really like a father to me. I've known him 15 years. But now my partner's banned him from picking up the dogs tomorrow ostensibly because of the heat but really it's because his angry at me and my dad over the dogs staying. I kind of agree with him a bit. He's 78 and it's going to be extremely hot but someone has to transport the dogs. I'm unable to drive because of my own disabilities and I don't think my own dad should be driving either. so where does that leave us?

I hate myself so much because I feel I'm either letting my dad down down or I'm making my partner annoyed and angry.

• Hi

So sorry to read your story and how everything seems to be impacting on you at the moment. I wonder have you considered ringing our helpline here - perhaps speaking to someone might help you feel less alone.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge