Sewing hobbies

• 3 replies
  • 5 subscribers

I love being creative and in particular coming up with textile artwork. Sewing has been my key hobby since a child. In recent years I have made many things in patchwork and appliqué such as wall hangings and clothes. I have also passed on my skills to others who would like to discover the sensation of great achievement. If you came to my home you would see there is not much space on the walls as they are covered with my work. Sewing can be a restful pastime and is nothing like as complicated as some people think. Here are a couple of pieces I  made - one is a jacket  of black embroidered net over a plain black jacket and the other is a portrait created with appliqué. I would love to hear from others who find any form of sewing a helpful and enjoyable hobby.  Patchwork genius

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

You're obviously very talented and I wish I had just an ounce of that!

What brings you to the community? Have you had cancer or is it member of your family or a friend with cancer? I did have a peek in your profile before replying to you but you haven't completed it yet.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Latchbrook, Rather than talent, I do have the ability to take other people's ideas, adapting them to produce something a bit different. But very few 'creative' people start with a blank sheet - most use something they have come across as a starting point for their work. I love that saying:  "Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience" Live is always better with an optimistic outlook no matter how bleak things might seem. And if we wish, we can usually benefit from experiences, even the difficult ones. I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer. Had an MRI yesterday - and the nurses and radiographers were very good, taking great care and explaining things. Going back to see my surgeon next week, so I am at the beginning of this new journey.

• I think you're being modest  

I'm sorry to read that you've been diagnosed with breast cancer and I know what a difficult time this will be for you both having gone through it myself.

The online community is divided up into different support groups so I'm going to recommend that you join the breast cancer group, which is a great place to ask questions, share experiences and get support from others who will know what you're going through.

If you'd like to join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"