Evil Chemo Effects any advice welcome

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 9 subscribers

My husband is having first round of chemo for terminal cancer of unknown primary cancer. Day 1 - 4 he felt great day 10 - 14 has been dreadful. Sickness and diorrea shocking can’t even keep water down. He finishes chemo tabs on Thursday can he expect to see some improvement as he has a week off before round 2 (that’s if he is strong enough to go through a second round) I think he should be in hospital on a drip he is that bad. Any advice or words of encouragement would be gratefully received please.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I don't know what combination of drugs your husband is on, but it sounds like he's having a really rough time. Have you rung the chemo unit - there should be medications that can help with the sickness and diarrhoea  - he shouldn't really be suffering as badly as he is. 

Are you seeing the oncologist before his next round? If not, you could ask if he can be - he may benefit from a reduced dose of the drugs if that is possible, ion order to reduce the side effects. 

Sorry I can't make comments on 'it'll get better' as everyone is different, but there are things that they can try! Hopefully, the week off the tablets will help a bit, but please contact the chemo people anyway! 

Hugs to you and your husband...

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sheilaj,

That sounds awful. Your poor husband. Is he any better now? Did they give him something for the sickness and diarrhoea or reduce his dosage? I'm dreading this myself as I'm starting chemo this week.

Babs