Atrial Fibrillation after Chemotherapy

• 0 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hello All,

I am a member of another group on here and have had treatment for Prostate Cancer which, 3 years out seems to have been successful thus far.  At about the same time I had my diagnosis my brother-in-law was diagnosed with oesophagal cancer.  He had a big operation and then a long course of chemotherapy.  He then acquired Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) which we are told can happen after chemo.  As far as I know the only medication he is on is bisorolol for the Afib.  However other than medication they are being told that he should have no other treatment.  I too have AFib for 2 years and have had two successful cardioversions, one of which lasted just short of a year and another which is still owrking and am considering ablation to hopefully cure it.  

My question is why is my brother-in-law not being offered either cardioversion or ablation.  His AFib and the bisoprolol (which fatigues him) is now affecting him far more than his cancer or the treatment for it.  Just wondering if AFib after chemo is a different thing to what I term my "normal" AFib which can be treated more effectively than with medication alone.  Indeed, I tried bisoprolol twice for a few months and it was probably the worse for side effects.

Hope someone can shed some light on this as my sister and brother-in-law do not ask questions or join discussion groups and just put up with what they are offered and I wonder if this is one of those times when there is more that could be done to help them have some better quality of life.