Lenalidomide Side Effects during rest week

• 4 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi All,

My mother takes Lenalidomide and is on a 3 week on / 1 week off cycle.  During her 'rest' week she experiences awful side effects - nausea, peripheral neuropathy, headaches and general aching.  Painkillers don't seem to help and the symptoms only subside once she restarts the medication again.

We have spoken to the doctors, but they don't seem to be able to offer any solutions. This has been going on for over 3 years.

Does anyone else experience these withdrawal symptoms and have you found anything that helps?

Many thanks!

• Hi  sorry to hear about your mother.

Lenalidomide is used for treating a few different types of cancer.

What type of cancer does she have?....... with this information I can direct you to the best support group on the Community where you will get support from people who understand.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike,

She has Plasmacytoma (blood cancer) which has brought on Poems syndrome

• Thanks for this.....

I have lived with and been treated for 2 very rare types of blood cancer (8 in a million and 4 in a million) for over 25 years....... but have not had this drug.

What you mother is experiencing is unfortunately some of the side effects of many of these drugs..... and at times there are no fixes for them.

The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our……

MDS/MPN/ET/PV/myelofibrosis (MF)

……. support group.

This group covers blood cancers that do not fit into Lymphoma, Leukemia and Myeloma.

It will be a safe places to talk to others who 'may' have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from family members who are navigating the same support journey.

As for the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your mother and indeed yourself you may benefit from joining and posting in our……

Carers only

……. support group where you will connect with a wide range of members navigating the exact same support challenges.

To connect with a group click on the “Bold Italic Links” I have created above …… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [+] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for all this information Mike, I'll be sure to join the above forums and repost my question there.

Many thanks!