Neuropathy and Xelox (capox) - what causes it to get worse?

• 4 replies
  • 8 subscribers

I've started my second round of this unpleasant chemo, last one 2 years ago. So I know that it's caused by the infusion and that I started tingling after my first infusion last time.

My question is what makes it get worse? I had my infusion 5 days ago, if I touch cold things now will it get worse? Or does it simply get worse, if it's going to, as the chemo goes on? Should I be using freezer gloves from now on? Etc.

Thanks.

Doug

• Hi Doug  I have not had these drugs (you could also ask your question in the group that covers your type of cancer) but over a 2 year period I relapsed a few times and had 2 different types of Lymphoma one remains incurable and I must have had over 800 hrs of very strong chemo delivers at different times over these years.

I had various levels of Peripheral neuropathy and it was part of my life through those 2 years but also for a good year after the end of the treatments.

It just got worse the more treatment I had. Chemo attacks our cancer cells but also the good healthy cells surrounding where your cancer presents and unfortunately also our nerves system as the chemo is transported in the blood but also in our lymphatic system and these are are interwoven with our nerves system…..so the more treatment you have the effects of the chemo in the body is compounded and so is the PN.

I did ware gloves at times but the main thing I did was work my hands with 2 stress balls to get the blood flowing through my hands but also to work the nerves in my hands.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Stress balls seems a good idea so long as they don't affect my trigger fingers!

• I am 8 years 9 months out from my last treatment and I still have a trigger finger on my right hand but it does not stop me playing guitar.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks, but my trigger problems involve both hands. I'm getting treatment from a state of the art centre in Derby. It's exacerbated by thumb problems, partially arthritis. But I'll see if I can use a stress ball in a way that won't affect my thumbs. I appreciate the suggestions.