Hair loss

• 8 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi

I am on my 4th round of chemo and the inevitable side effect is happening, my hair is coming out in quite large quantities. 

It's very noticeable at the front. 

I don't think I am brave enough to shave it off, as it's shoulder length. 

Does anyone have any advice on headgear, with hair, or should I just be brave.

Thanks x

• Most of my hair fell out within 5 days after my first chemo so was pleased to get the rest off and just had a baseball cap…… but let’s look fir others to pick up on your question…,, although you may get more reply’s if you post it in the Breast cancer group I see you have joined.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• HI. My hair has started to fall out also. I have always had big hair and been a massive part of my identity so finding it difficult. I have not gone too short yet but may do. Having short hair is easier for a guy. I think I will be brave and shave it soon. 

The Breast cancer forum is probably a better place.

Have only just started to look at head gear !

Eddie

• Hi

I know it's a stressful time and upsetting. 

I decided to just go for it, cut it short and buzzed cut it. 

It's still quite patchy, but feeling so much better. 

Whatever you decide will be right for you x

• Well done for going for the buzzcut. I think I will join you soon !

Good Luck x

• Thanks and good luck x

• Thanks so much for your post, Sarah67. I'm on #2 chemo. I cut my very long hair the day  after #1 chemo, the Sister advised this as they said the weight could damage chemo affected follicles and therefore regrowth.

it was really hard!  I left a very short cut behind. It is now shedding steadily but no patches yet. I will be going for a buzzcut as soon as it's no longer viable.

Seems we have to let go of so much. 

Wishing you wellV tone5

• Yes it does, but sounds like you are in control of your hair, and made a decision for you. Buzz cut isn't too bad, unfortunately mine has too many bald spots to make me confident enough not to wear a head covering all the time. Still there are lots of nice headwear. You can always get a wig.

Good luck x