How to keep warm enough during chemotherapy

• 6 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep warm enough for the cannula to reach the veins in my arms when start my cycles of Oxilaplatin?  The nurses put a heat pack on my arm this morning and this my fifth cycle! 

If anyone can help, please let me know.

Kind Regards.

• The main thing I was told to do was drink a pint of water 30mins before I was getting cannulas put in - this helped.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks.  Would that be cold water though?

• Yes cold water……. the more hydrated your body is the better your vains are for cannulas to go in….. I have had many many lines out in over my 24 years and this worked well for me.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike! I do try to drink as much water and water based drinks such as peppermint tea and normal tea as I can a day.  Always have and I will have to try putting extra warmth on my arms such as a hot water bottle near the time of my next cycle!  Thanks again. 

• I was told to drink at least 2 litres of liquid every day. Be it during chemo or the days between.

So as long as you are drinking it will help…… do keep your arm warm when going to get cannulas in but honestly it’s all down to how good the nurse is…… Rolling eyes

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for that Mike.  I seem to have a different nurse for each cycle.  Some are better than others!  In one of my Bowel Cancer UK books it says to drink 2 litres a day. Hopefully that includes tea as the Oxilaplatin has given me a sensitivity to the cold! Kind Regards, Reggatta