Memory problems?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi all,

I have heard the term 'chemo brain' but never understood what people meant. I finished 6 rounds of carboplatin and paclitaxel on 22 February. I have noticed the past week that my short term memory is shocking. An example - a folder was missing from my work laptop, phoned our IT department, they told me to do a restart and see if it had reappeared. It had. 5 minutes later I find myself phoning the IT deparment again forgetting I had found the folder. I am worrying that this could be something other than chemo related side effecs. Any advice please?

• Yes, been through chemo on 3 occasions and my chemo brain at times was bad…… on a few occasions I had to stop driving as my reactions and processing abilities made it dangerous to drive.

I am over 8 years out from my last chemo and even yet, things come up in conversation that I have no recollection happening during my treatments.

I was retired by the time I started my chemo so I did not have the issue of work related problems.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thanks Mike.It really shocked me! I finished filgastrim injections yesterday too so I think that may have added to it. No more episodes today so far Fingers crossed

• Good to hear…… as I had a lot of treatment over 2+ years (a total of 800hrs of chemo, 45 radiotherapy, 2 donor Stem Cell Transplants and was doing filgastrim infections daily for about 3 months at the end of treatment) it took a while for my ‘drain’ fig to clear up….. I have to admit that once I was out n the road to recovery I did ‘play’ on the brain fog a little to get off with some things Joy

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

That made me smile Grin I've just read your profile, wow, what a journey you have had and the treatments! You're obviously made of strong stuff. I feel less fuzzy headed today so let's see what happens Joy

• We all do what we need to do to keep ahead if the beast…..  all the best for today.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• I experienced chemo fog. Or as I called it "mind custard". I would be in meetings where I knew the topic had been discussed before but couldn't remember the details until an hour after the meeting ended. I just kept working and making sure people knew where my head was. Keeping the mind active supports recovery. I wouldn't say I'm 100% now. It feels like memories before chemotherapy are hazy and everything after treatment completed are more vivid. It's almost like the previous version of me was one book and now I'm onto a new book. Things gradually improve.