Hair loss when post menopausal

• 2 replies
  • 9 subscribers

On Monday I have my first appointment with an oncologist to discuss my chemotherapy plan. When I was told I needed chemo  hair loss wasn't initially my main concern,  I was more upset about the actual chemo sessions, but now it's sunk in a bit more I want to try my best to preserve my hair.

The breast nurse told me about cold capping so I came on this site to find out more. I was so pleased that I did because I've  read that certain chemo drugs particularly Docetaxel can cause permanent alopecia for   post menopausal  women which I wasn't aware of before seeing posts on this forum. 

I might not be offered this drug on my plan but wanted to have more information before seeing the oncologist just in case it is offered.

I understand that cold capping preserves the hair follicles for future regrowth and that there will still be some hair loss during the chemo process and it doesn't mean that the cold capping isn't working, however I  can't find if cold capping  whilst receiving  Docetaxel  will prevent permanent hair loss or if I should avoid that drug because of my age. I know there is no 100 % guarantee but I am stressing about this now.

I've looked on Paxman's website and can't find the information., so can anyone help please?

Many thanks

D.D

• Hi  and I see it’s your first post so a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

Can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated…..

Breast cancer

…… as this is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you. I'll do that