Chemo Mouth

• 1 reply
  • 12 subscribers

Hi

I am new to this forum and am desperately trying to find something that can ease the burning pain in his mouth especially on his tongue.    He has had his second round of Chemotherapy, Folfiri Cetuximabs and is struggling to eat and drink and has lost a lot of weight.  

Any tips would be so grateful received.

Thank you so much 

• Hi and welcome to the community. So sorry to hear about the challenges your family member?…… is having.

I had a totally different type of chemo for my type of blood cancer. These chemo regimes are often very diffrent so it’s often good to talk with others who have had the same treatment. I see you have also joined our Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer group. Why not put your post up on there also as you may connect with others in the same treatment.

I assume that he is getting products from his clinical team as there a number of treatments/products that can help and even if what he has is not working he needs to talk with his clinical team to get advise and a new plan.

I was on my chemo for over 120hrs 24/7 for 6 cycles so had over 700hrs of chemo during my first line treatment. This was over 8 years ago so can’t remember all the products I was given……. but what I do remember was continually sucking on crushed pineapple or crushed melon that had been frozen in ice cube trays……. This had a good soothing effect.

I hope you can find a fix for him.

Macmillan have many support platforms so do check out the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 or via Webchat and Email too.

These services provide cancer information, practical information and we also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge