Pain with capecitebine (as part of Xelox)

• 1 reply
  • 11 subscribers

My hubby is on a combination chemo with capecitebine  and is on Round 7 for advanced oesophageal cancer. He's had a grumbling pain in the centre of his chest (not sharp or shooting), since the end of Round 4 and its got gradually worse. The oncologist has recommended going back on regular pain relief unless the pain suddenly becomes acute. He has also experienced some swallowing issues with some foods eg tomatoes, nectarines (oesophagus goes into spasm and won't let him swallow) but not others eg breakfast cereal, sandwiches, cornish pasties, eggs etc. I am worried the tumour is growing again but also wonder whether the capecitebine might be just aggravating the oesophagus (and/or his hiatal hernia)and making it extra sensitive & sore. We'll know more with scan  (due end of the month). But in the meantime, it would be good to hear from anyone else who might have experienced anything similar.

Thank you

M

• Hi

I'm sorry to read about the pain your husband is currently suffering with but it's good that he's spoken to his oncologist about it.

I don't have the experience you're looking for but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you also post this in the oesophageal cancer group and, if this is something that you'd like to do, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

When you feel up to it it would be great if you could pop something about your husband's diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

(((hugs)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"