Chemo swhemo

• 2 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Basically I just wanted to off load on people who will understand.
I am having 4 cycles of mop-up CAPOX after successful surgery to remove a tumour from my bowel at Easter. I am having infusion 3 weekly followed by 2 weeks of tablets and then a week off over 3 months and I know I am lucky as it is just adjuvent and a short course but well...

It's just horrible isn't it? I really want a cold drink esp as it is hot but it makes me feel horrid. I feel like I have sandy seaweed caught in my throat.  The pins and needles too! I hate them!  The insomnia, the sickness and the mental kick in the face. It's just all a lot isn't it?

My team are aware of all this, it's just I know you guys will get it x x 

• Hi ,

Yes chemo is not nice. As you say at least is short ( although 3 months wthout a break can feel like a long time). If you havent tried it, anything with real ginger in it helps with nausea - a cold ginger cordial maybe? A good rant is always cathartic. Sorry no one else has replied yet - but the specific forum for bowel cancer will have more people who have experience of your treatment may be more active.

Good luck with it all and hope the weeks pass quickly.

• I am feeling a bit the same. I am having EP all day infusions fortnightly, then two weeks to recover after I had a cyst removed in March that turned out to be an ovarian germ cell tumour. I am supposed to have 5 cycles, but after 3 cycles I am getting more nauseous each time and needing more anti sickness meds. The first two cycles I still had an appetite, but now I just feel like my digestive system is sulking all the time and I feel drained and pathetic. I know of a couple of people that didn't finish their course of treatment and stopped early. How often does this happen, because I am now getting more worried about side effects than I ever was about the few abnormal cells they found floating in my peritoneum that this horrible treatment is supposed to be killing (and probably already has)?