Just started chemo yesterday

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 23 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi everyone! Really didn't want to join this group but hey-ho life throws some real googlies sometimes!

I had cycle 1of 6 of Paclitaxel and Carboplatin yesterday for womb cancer that has escaped to my liver and some lymph nodes. Has anyone else had this and what side effects did you get and when? I'm going to make an appointment with wig supplier today.

Thanks

Nannasuki 

• Hi RJA123,

i was prescribed Benzydamine mouth wash (can be bought over the counter as Difflam) in case I developed soreness or ulcers. Have you tried this? It’s great that you were able to put your hair to good use before it had to go, I’m sure it will make someone very happy. My hair was neither use nor ornament really!

Best wishes, Nell x

• Hi Nell.  Difflam has been my saviour - nothing else would give me relief!  I seem to be managing ok on this 2nd round and (fingers crossed) have not had any worse side effects - other than being more achy than last time.  Hope you are doing ok xx

• Hi RJA123,

Had my second round on Friday and I'm in the achey stage as well, but ok apart from that.  I have had abdominal cramps as well as the aching legs and feet - is this just me?

Best wishes, Nell x 

• I have had abdominal pain the last couple of days too.  I assumed it is because I am only 12 weeks post hysterectomy and my ligaments and muscles are still weak and therefore more susceptible to the chemo pain.  The backs of my hands where I have had the canulas are really sore too! I'm glad you are feeling ok apart from the aches - how often do you have your chemo?  Mine is every 3 weeks, but yours seems to be more often than that. xxx

• I haven't had any surgery yet, so that can't be the reason for my cramps yet!  I am having chemo every 3 weeks with surgery currently planned after the third cycle, subject to a CT scan confirming that there has been sufficient shrinkage of the tumours.  My second chemo was on Friday.  The back of my hand was sore for a couple of days but that seems to have calmed down now.  Did you have upfront chemo before your surgery or did that come first?  Also, how many weeks did they leave between your surgery and starting or restarting chemo?  I know timings depend on many things, but its useful to know the 'normal' scenarios!

Best wishes, Nell xxx

• I didn't find out it was cancer until after my surgery.  I had a large ovarian mass, but they didn't biopsy it, just whipped everything out. I was about 8 weeks post op when I had my first session of chemo.  I'm not sure if I'm having 4 or 6 sessions and then they want to do radiotherapy afterwards.  I'm trying not to think too much about that yet!  xx

• Oh wow, that must have been a shock. Mine was diagnosed by ultrasound and CT scans and then confirmed by biopsy/laparoscopy under general anaesthetic. I could feel a swelling and had hoped that it was just a cyst but sadly not. I am just taking each step as it comes, although I am hoping that I am through all of the treatment in time for my daughter’s wedding in August!

Best wishes, Nell x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nell Beancounter

Hi Nell

i’m on my 4th cycle of carbo/taxol and generally finding it ok.  On days 5-7 my muscles and joints are very achy but otherwise ok,   I have a great wig but it needs thinning, trimming and styling - can you recommend someone.  I live in London.  Mrycon X

• Hi Mrycon, 

Just had second carbo/taxol and avastin - my aches and pains seem to start on day 3 until day 7. I’m sorry, I don’t think I can help with a recommendation for someone to personalise your wig for you as I live in Cambridgeshire. Maybe try http://www.mynewhair.org/salon-finder/ - that is Trevor Sorbie’s wig service where you can search for a wig styling salon local to you. 

Best wishes, Nell x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nell Beancounter

Thank you Nell, that’s super helpful.

Mrycon X