Picc lines

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi I am new to this group, I am very needle phobic so am really struggling with canulars and bloods, I had my third round of chemotherapy  on Friday 13th and now I m in hospital as I seem to be after every round. It has been strongly advised to have a picc line in now as my veins keep collapsing and it's getting harder to take bloods and canulate me. I have read up about them and if I'm honest it's put me off.. so here I am hoping to get advice from people who are going through the same or any support really.. thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to rily

Hi rily,

Thanks very much for that, it's reassured me a lot. Was a bit worried I'd need another general anaesthetic as I've just had two. Sounds better than trying to get a needle in my hand. My veins have gone. 

Best wishes,

Babs

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to rily

Hi rily,

Thanks very much for that, it's reassured me a lot. Was a bit worried I'd need another general anaesthetic as I've just had two. Sounds better than trying to get a needle in my hand. My veins have gone. 

Best wishes,

Babs

• Hi there had to comment on picc line for me it's been a life saver I am a very extreme anxious person who gets worked up and in a state at a!most everything and needles are in my top two I scream shout they all know me at hospital I had to have a scan this past Tuesday and it went like the others the hospital staff are marvellous with me and know what to expect I can't help it and apologise and constantly say sorry to them all the time as when you have a scan as you know they can't use picc it takes me hrs to calm down afterwards as well and my arm is black and blue and extremely painful it's getting better now though so trust me it is brill everything goes in picc all chemo blood tests everything and no pain or screaming to deal with its great I don't think I would off of been able to keep on with treatment without it you will see it's one of the best decisions you could make xxx

Flippen
  • Thanks for getting back to me i hope it's working out for you can get a bit fiddly at night toss and turn nights I call it moving the blue knob but away from the orange bit  as I don't like it touching together and don't get it wet in bath or shower you can buy these waterproof long arm sleeves to put on  they are brill just double check the rubber suction ends but hey I have had mine in now for six months and no problems I look after it like my dog ha ha it's that important to me xxx

Flippen
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Popgate

Got my PICC line in and it's brilliant. No more needles and I don't really notice it's there. The only thing is it's awkward in the shower and I can't use a sleeve because it's not in my arm, it's in my chest near my shoulder. I have a waterproof dressing on at the moment but think the nurse will take it off soon once the stitches are out next week. Small price to pay though. Very glad I got it.

Babs Hearts️

• Good to read that

If this is in your chest, this sounds like a Central iv Line rather than a PICC Line.....

Did they refer to it as a Hickman or Groshong line by any chance with a round cap (lumen) on the end ?

J had a Groshong Chest line in for 15 months with no problems whatsoever.

G n' J

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Dreamthief

Yes it's a Hickman line. So glad I got it and the process was virtually painless. 

Babs Hearts️