Positivity during chemo

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 9 subscribers

hi,

how have people stayed positive during chemo? Any tips?

thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I know what you mean, just trying to focus on the end point.

thanks. Hope yours goes well too x

• FormerMember

Mine was shoulder length and a dirty blonde so my wig is a shade darker with the same cut so I felt like me when I first started losing it. However I've always wanted really long, thick wavy hair so I've gone for a wig like that too. I've also ordered a light brown wig that is a long Bob. I'm looking for a new look every day. I've also got different hats Baker boy, flat cap, sun hat, floppy hats. I'm not keen on the scarves cos I struggle to style them and I have a skin coloured chemo hat which I wear around the house which is great.

• Hi Fozdawn, good to read you have a positive approach to the hair loss.  I have small cell lung cancer with secondary to the liver and have my last chemo next Wednesday. All being well with CT scan on 14th June will go on to have PCI radiotherapy to head to prevent metastasis to the brain,am told i will lose my hair with that,but have not with the chemo which was very lucky. It is uplifting to read you have bought lots of different wigs as i ought to start thinking about those soon. Did you get yours from Macmillan? i understand they have wigs? Interesting about the hats too. Take care                 Jaunty

Jaunty
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to jaunty

Hi Jaunty,

No I didn't get the wigs from Macmillan. I didn't realise you could at the time. I bought one from a local lady that was expensive, then bought another 3 from wish which each cost me less than £10.. I bought all my hats off Ebay all less than £10, and all my scarves off either wish or ebay and cost less than £5.

Why do you have to have PCI radiotherapy if you've finished your chemo. I haven't been told this. My 3rd chemo is due 11th June and my 4th on 2nd July. I then have a CT scan on 15th July and been told if that is okay I will not need the other 2 chemo treatments but they will monitor me every 3 months with a CT scan.

Dawn

• Hi Dawn ,They don't mention everything at once anyway as would be too much for a lot of people to take on board. It is not always appropriate for everyone to be offered certain treatments as their stage of cancer may be different, so on and so on,does sometimes pay to mention treatments though,then they can talk to you about if,why or why not and when etc, you may be considered for them or not. The radiotherapy i will probably have to head is called 'Prophylactic cranial irradiation' to prevent and delay spread of small cell to the brain. Hope this explains it bit better    sending hugs    Jaunty

Jaunty
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to jaunty

Yes it does explain it better. Thanks. 

Hope you ate doing okay. I'm waiting to find out if I've got my chemo tomorrow. 

• FormerMember

Thank you for this, it is most helpful. I will be starting my Chemo soon. All the best to you.