What to do for the best ?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hello all,

my 94 year old dad was just diagnosed with oesophageal cancer after falling ill a few weeks ago. It took about 4 weeks of him being in hospital really poorly before diagnosis was made and the decision to fit a stent as a palliative measure. The week after he made leaps and bounds and he came home at the beginning of this week, he lives alone and before this he was very active took care of himself and was mentally sharp . The hospital has assessed him and said he doesn't have care needs as such as he was above baseline for needing anything so a lady comes at night to make sure he has his tea. Now he's come home and he's well compared to in hospital we've all kind of rallied  round to look after him , I go every day and my sister has took time off to go , but he seems quite confused and doesn't want to leave the house , we can't be there 24 / 7 long term and he's reluctant to have care workers in but we are worried he won't eat or take his tablets properly , given the hospital have said he's capable of looking after himself should we back off a bit and hope he does for himself as he's always done he says he can't think at the minute but is that because we are overcrowding him and not giving him the time and peace ha perhaps needs to get in a routine again it's hard to back off a bit cos we are worried , I just don't know what to do for the best , I feel better just writing this down but any advice or shared experience is appreciated

• Hi there, I think that things may improve for your dad in a couple of days, but if it doesn't, then I feel he may need to be reassessed. Things can change in a matter of days, so the hospit alassassment may not now be relavent. Hope things get sorted, thinking of you, pam xx

Love is eternal
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm so so sorry you are going through this.. My father has also been diagnosed with oesophageal cancer and has now in the last couple of weeks having trouble swallowing. We are seeing the oncologist on Tues but he doesn't seem to be clear with my dad or ourselves on what is happening.. Dad had 5 lots of radiotherapy to stem the bleeding from the cancer and is on palliative care but nothing has been explained to us.. Its good to find someone else that is going through the same as we can maybe all support each other...

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello there , thanks for your reply and I am sorry to hear about your dad . How old is he if you don't mind me asking ? My dad also had trouble swallowing but within about a week he was unable to swallow water even and ended up in hospital . The diagnosis took weeks and he couldn't eat or drink until the 5th week of hospitalisation when he had a stent fitted. He is back home now but his quality of life is not good and he still has a minimal appetite. He is due back for a gastroscope next week but we haven't really been told how long he has but maybe they don't know until they have another look and see how fast it's grown . You do seem to get drip fed information , have you asked them any questions ? Only because I found if I specifically asked questions I got the answers but if not I think they just thought I didn't want to know ( which in a way I don't , if that makes sense ) please keep in touch and maybe we can be of help and support to each other x take care hayley

• FormerMember

Hi 

Tyvm for your message.. My dad is 83.. We have just come back from seeing his oncologist and he is at stage 3.. He was really nice today and was happy to answer all the questions we asked so we know more now and when the next speps are..  We are going to try and hold off with the stent for as long as possible as its not nice.. We are puree all his food now and seems to be working ate the moment...

It would be lovely to stay in touch with you and we can support each other... If you need to talk at anytime that's fine..

thanks

Liz. Xxx

• FormerMember

Hello , I'm glad you are more clear on things now , we haven't got an oncologist so we don't really know how far down the line we are , whether we will see one later on I'm not sure. My sister rang the hospital and they have now said he doesn't have to go for his gastroscope but I'm not sure why not . I might try and purée his food  as he's not eating very well at all he says he doesn't feel sick and he can swallow ok but he just doesn't feel hungry and can't face food . Having said that he seems better with soups or complain so maybe he is holding something back so we don't worry. When we had the stent done it was a relief to be honest as he couldn't even get much sleep due to not being able to swallow his saliva so he would wake up coughing and was at risk of developing pneumonia due to inhaling fluid, also the whole process took weeks so when he was admitted to hospital he hadn't eaten for 9 days and by the time he came out he hadn't been eating for 6 weeks so was very weak. When he came round from having the stent done he said "oh that's done the trick " and it was so nice that he wasn't going through all that suffering any more but I'm just a bit disappointed that his appetite isn't great as I just wanted to build him up a bit x

• FormerMember

I'm sure you will soon been seen by  oncology as they tend to be quite quick.. Puree food is OK but if he can swallow I'd avoid it at the moment as it tends to look horrible and I always say we eat with our eyes first and so if he hasn't got much of an appetite it may put him off even more... Xxx