What am I allowed to know/ask?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 39 subscribers

So we have this diagnosis and treatment will begin soon. We know it is incurable. As is to be expected, all the attention is on the patient, but as a carer... what about me?

Am I allowed to talk to his doctors to find out the answers to questions no-one is addressing? Partner tells me very little and isn't ready to talk about everything yet, (he may never be as he has been like that all his life) and that is his choice, but I feel like I need to know. I want to ask 'How long has he got?' and How long before I am a nurse rather than a partner?' and 'Who do I turn to for advice and help?' and 'How much can I talk to his nurses (who I haven't even met yet) and 'How much are they allowed to tell me?' - respecting his privacy and choices as they must.

I feel like I am on the outside, the details being on a need to know basis and like a decision has been made that I don't need to know. I don't have a network of friends or family. Partner and I have been friends rather than lovers for a good ten+ years and I just feel adrift, in a swirl of questions to which I have no idea how to get answers, or even if I can.

Does any of that make sense? Can anyone tell me where I should turn to help make things clear? Sorry for thr ramble, but thanks for any help offered.