I am so tired

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 46 subscribers

My husband who is now 80, i am 75, was diagnosed with CLL about 10 years and remained in watch and wait for a few years until he became symptomatic 3 years ago. since then he has had 2 lots of chemotherapy (BR and Ibrutinib). He then had Richters transformation to non hodgkins lymphoma for which he has had R-Minichop, disease progressed during treatment. He then had Gemcitabine and Oxalipltin. No signs of remission with either although it is almost a year since his last CT scan He is now having PEP-C with GSF support. That is just background on his cancer journey.

During treatment he had extensive DVT and a PE so anticoagulated. He had a big bleed behind his retina in April and needed 2 operations to restore most of his sight. Anticoagulation stopped. He is an insulin dependent diabetic and uses 2 hearing aids as he is profoundly deaf.

My problem is that I am left to deal with all his problems, decide when he can have his PEP-c treatment, He has fortnightly blood tests and I am phoned to advise me on the GSF injections. He has had a chest infection for the last 4 weeks, GP preferring to prescribe over the phone...he was not actually seen until I insisted.

I am just so tired, I have recently been in hospital myself for 8 days  with pneumonia and am finding it all a bit much. I really could do some input on any help we could access. It is just so difficult keeping track of and arranging all his appointments plus getting him to them. I have macular degeneration in both eyes so my sight is poor and no longer reaches DVLA minimum. Neither of us drive any longer.

• Hi and welcome to the community; wow you have managed so well for so long and with the pneumonia it is not surprising you are tired. My first suggestion would be that you talk to you GP about getting a needs assessment for your husband and a carers assessment for you - this is normally the responsibility of your local council. If you ring the helpline here they may also be able to put you in touch with support services near you.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have no real words of wisdom but hope you can find some help. Surely your gp surgery should be pointing you in the right direction but hopefully Macmillan can help you. I can only send love and support. Do you have anyone close? A friend or family member that could assist?

You have done amazing so far,you've been an absolute star! I hope you get some help and soon.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

GP surgery tell me they hae someone who deals with all their patients on chemotherapy. This person phoned me a couple of months ago to say my husband 'must have slipped through the net'. Not heard from her since although she promised various things. I did contemplate changing GP surgery but the 3 in our area have all amalgamated now.

Our daughter was a real star when I was in hospital, bringing her Dad up to visit and making sure he was eating properly but she works and has her own family and lives an hours drive away. I can't keep asking for help. When he had to come to the hospital on the bus it is a 2 hour journey each way.

We have a 4 day caravan break booked for September, we are going to Weymouth...I keep hanging on to that lovely thought!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Perseverance and patients have been my mantras now to get what my mum has needed (and for me as her carer). You just have to keep banging on people's doors until the right one opens so don't give up. I've been lucky as we have a fantastic GP but also our local hospice has been helpful and this has linked with the community nurses (district nurses in old money).

Can you speak to the chemo team to see if they can point out who can help? Our local hospice and gp surgery both pointed me towards charity groups that can assist carers, might be worth a try depending on what's available in your area. Hope you find some more support soon xx

• You can't shoulder all of this responsibility yourself, it's so much on your shoulders. If your GP won't help, please try Macmillan cancer support. You can also call Social Services directly and they'll arrange an OT to do a carers assessment and look into care support and equipment for your house, if needed. I'm not sure where you're based but I'm sure all UK regions have patient transport so that might be useful for any hospital appointments.

I hope you both have a lovely holiday :)