Food suggestions

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi, my Mum is struggling to eat anything hot at the minute. Looking for inspiration on the food front that people have found goes down well. Bananas, custard, ice-cream, ginger nuts going down well with the odd sandwich but not having too much success with other things currently.

• Hi Nmac

Is your mum end of life? 

If so going off food is normal. My mum only wanted ice cream or yogurts.  I even tried baby food. 

She did eat little bits of dinner puree in blender.  That went down easier. But best to puree veg separately so she still has the different flacourses. This way you will find out what shes gone off and what she's liking at the moment. 

You could try some of those vitamin drinks the doctor prescribes. Keep in fridge if she preferred them this way. 

Hope this helps. Without knowing more about the situation your mum is in its hard to say . If your mum is not palliative then she's  just going through a phase. .

X

Mad 
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Madesp

Hi Nmac

I've been making a smoothie for my partner made from bananas, strawberries, a little bit of double cream 2 to 4 heaped dessert spoons of thick Greek yoghurt & 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream. It makes almost 2 pints and can be kept in the fridge and used throughout the day.

its the only thing he can swallow at the moment and we top up with forisips.

Hope it helps

Willow

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, in a similar situation. Mum's 'go to' at the moment are little pots of rice pudding and jellies when she can't keep anything else down. Little cakes, fondant fancies, cherry bakewells and strangely little round cheese biscuits because she says they melt in the mouth quite easily.

I think its just trial and error depending on what they fancy. Occasionally she can eat something hot but not so often now oh, and also a small portion of soup she can get down sometimes. Fun and games eh?

• HI

I am in a similar situation. I have found that eating off a baby plate is much easier, it doesn’t scare me so much. Jacket potato is good for me, home made carrot soup, made with homemade chicken stock (no pepper as I struggle with it), I drink a hot chocolate before bed, or warm milk with a spoon of almond powder in. Porridge is also good, as I can just swallow it. Rice pudding and a throw back of angel delight! It’s annoying as all food seems to taste yuk, or is hard to eat. Having food cut into baby bites helps too. It’s hard for me and hard for the family when it comes to food time! 

Sulky Sonia x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, I looking after my husband with stage 3 lung cancer. Food is a big issue but ‘comfort’ eating seems to work. As you say, banana and custard, rice pudding, macaroni cheese, cottage pie. But all in small portions and in a bowl not on a plate. He is also having fortisip milk shakes. Despite constant instructions from stepdaughter about green vegetables I am happy that he eats anything - and keeps it down, don’t ask me about asparagus and Parmesan soup! Used to be a seasonal favourite but no more!

Good luck!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Nmac

Just read your post , & I do sympathise with you & mums situation. My husband  has been home  1 month, after  a 2 month stay  at Basingstoke PMP unit. He has no appetite , so I got in touch with the Macmillan nutritionist on this site , & she replied the same day. Some very good tips, yes  Fortisip  ( or  similar) supplement yogurty drinks , 3 different flavours. I looked on complan web site & again  it's  so moved away from being  an elderly food supplement. It does flavoured soups, smoothie type  drinks , plus the original. home made  berry Milkshakes , he  can't stomach fizzy drinks , but was introduced  to flat isotonic drinks on the ward . eg Lucozade sports  drinks, in various flavours. At the moment he favours Tesco's own make.

Salty snacks  ( to make her thirsty & rehydrate ) pretzels, crisps,cheesettes  etc .Rice   or similar puddings, flaked rice is  smoother & may go down easier.Small pots  of  fruity jelly. pancakes  or small omelettes. Small  saucer bowls of any pasta with passata  stirred through.

Half a mashed  banana, a small glass of milk is good. All served up on small pretty plates

Hope this helps 

sally x