How long can someone survive without food and water?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 43 subscribers

My mum had a syringe driver fitted yesterday, as she's no longer able to take medication orally. She hasn't been eating properly for weeks now, and during the past couple of weeks no more than a spoonful of something like forticreme each day ... past couple of days, nothing at all.  

She's had very little to drink for several weeks now - just the odd sip ...  but she's not been drinking anything at all for the past couple of days ... I've just been wetting her lips with a sponge swab.

She's mostly sleeping and unresponsive ... just with occasional short bouts of being awake, but unable to communicate properly ... I think she sometimes knows what she wants to say, but can't make herself understood ... it's heartbreaking!

Realistically, how long can we expect mum to survive like this?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi I'm so sorry your mum has had to battle this horrid disease and has come to this stage, there is no real time scale as everyone is different, it maybe useful to ask district nurses or macmillans when they come in as they will have more of an idea through her general appearance and breathing, I am a palliative care nurse myself ( my mum has incurable aggressive ovarian Ca) and I would say that she is nearing the end of her journey, if you feel your mum is anxious or in pain ask nurses to add more sedation and pain relief to syringe driver so that she is comfortable , as I said it is hard to predict and without knowing or seeing your mum I couldn't say but I'm sure you as a family will know and see when the time has come as carers seem to have that natural empathy, my heart and loving thoughts go out to you, just keep being there for her with regular mouthcare and talking to her 

With much love 

Sarah xxxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    I am so very sorry that your Mum is now at this stage. I don't think it is possible for anyone to say how long she can survive like this but when my husband had the syringe driver they told me not to try and give him drinks as it is possible they will choke and the liquid will go to their lungs. We had a mouth kit with the swabs and also some special gel to place on his lips and tongue to keep him comfortable. Sadly the drugs which keep them pain free also result in them being unable to communicate with you and it is heartbreaking. All you can do is talk to her and hold her hand so she feels safe and calm. My thoughts are with you xxxx