Daughter has terminal cancer

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My daughter had breathing cancer 3 years ago. She had chemotherapy, a mastectomy and her lymph nodes removed. Also had her ovaries removed. After all that she now has been diagnosed with bone cancer which is not curable. 

I really do not know what to do or how to cope with this. She has 2 small children. I am worried sick and am so stressed I am a nervous wreck. I am strong in front  of people but privately I am not coping at all. 

• Hey Jamcq...

Thanks for posting this here.  That was an important step.  We are here to listen and to offer whatever support we can.

Your stress is completely understandable.  From where you are standing right now there is loads of uncertainty and upset and you have no idea how you will get through.  However... you will get through.  There will be lots of people and services that come into play at the right time to help your daughter and you to get through.  It is a marathon - it is exhausting at times - especially when you get news that is difficult to hear - but you will get through.

There are various charities who are focused on helping people in your situation.  Have you tried reaching out to your local cancer trust or to Maggie's for support?  A well placed phone call may connect you to some support services where you can at least go to talk to someone.

Have you got a few good friends (or family) with whom you can be honest about how you are feeling.  Being strong is sometimes essential - but you probably aren't fooling anyone - and talking one on one to a good friend about what is really going on for you can make a whole world of difference.  They may even be able to provide some practical support that will take a bit of pressure off for the time being.  It will also set you up for the future - when you will probably need to lean on them some more.

And try to make time for some things you enjoy (getting out for a walk or tea and cake with a friend).  Even if it feels a bit artificial - it is setting up a healthy pattern of doing some stuf outside of your immediate problems.

If you really feel like you aren't coping after a few days then you may need to call your GP.  But start by giving yourself some space - taking some deep breaths and getting through one day at a time.  

No easy answers... but it is a marathon, so please try to make space to look after yourself.  

Big hug...

Pete