Plans?

• 3 replies
  • 46 subscribers

I am one of nature's planners. I like to have few things booked ahead in the diary, and I enjoy the anticipation often more than the trip or event itself.

My husband's cancer has stopped that for the last 18 months. We booked our summer holiday (a week in Wales) 3 days before we went, when a treatment free week came up.

But recently, after a clear MRI, I got overconfident that treatment was on a predicatble footing (three week immunotherapy schedule) and booked a stay and Christmas meal for the week before Christmas to spend time with his elderly parents, in failing health, and other relatives.

My Mum knew how important this was for me, and even congratulated me on being brave enough to plan something again.

I've been getting the feeling for a week or two now that this stable period has been going on too long, and we are living on borrowed time. (Maybe I'm just pessimistic!) But after a two week wait for MRI results they have indeed shown he needs referring on to a surgeon again... so maybe the Christmas gathering won't happen after all.

I don't know for sure yet - you never do until appointment day comes and goes. But it has taken the wind out of my sails.

I don't want to break the promise to his parents. I have everything crossed that the surgeon decides nothing needs doing before Christmas.

Everytime you think you are getting used to living with cancer there is another twist!

• Hi

I can really relate to what you say, at one point we were due to go on holiday but Janice was in hospital when we should have left. Fortunately and with a good tail wind she managed to get out of hospital and we went just 1 day late and had a good holiday. We had though checked where the local hospital was where we were going just in case.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Motherofboys,

I am exactly the same as you with regards to having things planned. My wife has stage 4 cancer you can read my story if you click on my username. In this last few months we have had so many things booked and cancelled that in the end you sort of give up hope of getting anywhere. We have had a couple of nights away and a few days out in the last few weeks. She's got a meeting with the oncologist in January and if all goes well from there we're hoping to go to Tenerife but I'm not sure about that because she says she is anxious about being in another country which is fair enough. Fingers crossed everything goes well for you. x

• I can completely relate.  I'm an only child caring for my mum Stage 4 breast cancer.  I feel like I can't plan anything, can take our kids abroad.  We've had breaks away but never out of the country.  Several trips have already been cancelled.  I feel trapped, then guilty for feeling that way.