Struggling to know what to say

• 4 replies
  • 46 subscribers

My husband, has stage 3 Gallbladder cancer and hasn't had any treatment since August. His first lot of chemo didn't work and the second gave him heart problems. He is having tests and hoping to start on a trial. He was recently discharged from hospital following an infection which turned to sepsis. Tonight he broke down in tears and said whilst he was sick in hospital he realised he didn't want to die and leave us and was scared? I just don't know what to say to him, I feel totally helpless. I've been getting through the last 8 months by trying to carry on as normal as much as possible but listening to him tonight, I wonder if that is the wrong way of supporting him. I find talking about it with him almost impossible and feel I can only try and distract us both from the reality of the situation and try and enjoy life as much as possible. Can anyone can help or advise me on how I can better support him and get through this nightmare?

• Hi

Lots of people find things really difficult, I know I ended up doing a living with less stress course that among other things helped me cope with my emotions.

Lots of good tips in What to say to someone who has cancer.

It is easy to slip in to "I am helpless" - but really the most important part of the whole thing is to recognize we just do our best in impossible circumstances and accept that is enough.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you. I think you're right, I am doing my best and I'm sure he appreciates that.

• I don't have any answers, sorry, just empathy. Maybe you don't have to 'say' anything - just be yourself and let him tell you what he needs to. It's probably a good thing he's let you know how he feels, rather than bottling it up and hiding his feelings from you. But you're having to deal with your own feelings too. Could he talk with someone independent, or could you both? Do you have a MacMillan Centre or Maggie's Centre nearby? These are such big emotions, get some support if you can. Sending virtual hugs x

• Thank you. He has been to see a counsellor today which he said was good and will continue to see them over the following weeks. It makes me feel better knowing he can let all of his fears out to them as I'm sure he holds lots back to try and protect me and our children. It'll help make it easier for me to just be there for him as well, without having any answers.