New to all of this as already struggling

• 4 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi I’m new to this and it’s my first post. My partner has been diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer with inoperable liver metastasis. He hasn’t eaten for two weeks due to complete lack of appetite and then had his first bout of chemo last week.. It’s completely wiped him out. I cannot get him on top of his pain and am struggling to get him to eat and know I have to get him back to a place where he can be well enough for his next chemo. I am worrying so much about him and how I will look after him tomorrow when I’m back at work. I’m working from home but have very demanding job. Any advice on how to cope would be really grateful for. Thank you x

• Hi, I’m afraid I can’t offer any advice but can so relate to your post. My husband is in a very similar place waiting for his first immunotherapy session and I have exactly the same feelings/worries as you. All I can offer is a huge virtual hug and the knowledge that you’re not alone x

• Sending you love in such a difficult time. I was in a similar situation earlier this year, work pressures got the better of me following my partners stage 3 bile duct cancer diognosis. I was signed off with stress a couple of times, and felt really lost. I luckily had an amazing boss, and open discussions with work lead to me reducing my hours (by half) so that I could better balance time i spent taking care of my partner and attending meetings with his oncology team/appointments. Getting the conversation started with work can be hard, but I do recommend keeping that conversation going. I've since increased my working hours now I have a better handle of this new way of life for now. Take care of yourself. I second that - you're not alone. 

• Do you have any family or friends who can help you? Honestly, it is all hands to the pumps when this happens. Even if someone could come and sit and be with your husband so that you don't have that in the back of your mind whether you are working at home or at work.

• I’d echo the last post - you have to ask for help, from your friends/family, work and the medical professionals. It’s not always easy to get help from the system - you need to be persistent and open about what you need. 

It took my family a while to get the support we needed but when it eventually appeared it made a difference.