Feeling stuck

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi all, I'm new here, so please forgive me if I make mistakes!

I've been with my "other half" for about 19 years, we have 2 kids together aged 13 & 14. The relationship has been basically dead for at least 3 or 4 years  - he's rubbish at communicating, but I found recently he had been looking for somewhere else to live, & that made me happy. Anyway, a few weeks ago he had a bit of a sore shoulder, then lower back, then a lump on his neck, & now he's in hospital (since Monday). He has (at least) two tumours on his spine, which are causing the discs to crumble, he's waiting for biopsy results on the neck lump, & as of yesterday he now has MRSA as well!

I'm sure in the movies I'm supposed to realise how I can't bear to lose him etc, but in all honesty I'm terrified that I'm going to end up stuck caring for someone I have no particular feelings for any more, that there will never be a "good time" to discuss his moving out plans. I feel like I'm being horribly selfish, but at the same time I'm not cut out to be a carer. 

Thank you for listening to me rant!

• hi and welcome to our community.

First and foremost you are not selfish, Relationships break down all the time and cancer is not a great way to heal anything.

Are your children aware of what is happening? If might help to look at our guide Talking to children and teenagers and it can be worth ensuring their school is on board too.

Hopefully you all find your way of dealing with what is ahead - but we all make mistakes and we are often our own worst critics too.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge