Quality of life rather than quantity

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi

I'm new here, my rollercoaster journey started on 1st Feb with my mum going for a chest x-ray, she has COPD and thought she had a chest infection, 2 cancelled CT scans before having 1 than we were told she had a tumour in her right lung. 2 cancelled PET CT scans and then 1 which gave us the results,  large tumour in right lung, small tumour in left lung and in her back, femor and ribs. Biopsy done and was told it was the right type of cancer for immunotherapy which was due to start this Friday.

Just when you think it can't get any worse, found out today after her collapsing in the early hours and being taken into hospital it has spread to her brain.  Hospital have said they will get her stabilised enough to come home and then see her oncologist as an outpatient to make a new date for starting immunotherapy as if she was to be seen in hospital he would say she is too poorly..

From what I have read the side effects of immunotherapy can be awful, my fear is that this would give her more pain possibly extend her life but not give her any quality of life, I just want what time she has to be pain free.

Sorry I have rambled on

Vicki

• Hello

i am so sorry, this is a terrible decision to make. My Wife Linda, refused Chemo and RT, the second time for secondary breast cancer, she suffered so much the first time, she couldn’t go through it again. She did take some cancer drugs, but not as strong. She told her oncologist she wanted quality over quantity, it was very upsetting for the family, but respected that was her decision to make. I wish you love and strength, for you and your Mum.

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories