Exhausted

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My husband is now coming to the end of his radiotherapy.  He's done so well but it's been so stressful, I'm exhausted, mentally.  I work full time, I've only had time off to attend appointments with him, I feel selfish saying that I'm exhausted but I really feel like I'm going to drop, I have nothing left.  

How does anyone else cope when still working and supporting other family members too?  I can't make time for myself as there just isn't enough time in the day!

Thank you Slight smile

• Hi

I get just where you are coming from and it is really very typical. If we look at Supporting a family member with cancer we can see how "normal" we are.

If you can it might be worth speaking to your GP and taking some sick leave to allow you to top up your batteries but also give you some time to be with your husband without the treatment schedule ruling your life.  Hopefully your workplace should recognize the benefit not just to you but to them too - after all it is no good for you to break.

People sometimes model stress like a leaky bucket - https://mentalhealth-uk.org/blog/the-stress-bucket/

When I hit overload my GP suggested going for a quite walk, especially if if was among trees and stop, look and listen and for me it works. Sometimes others will take on some of the load and other times work will be waiting when I get back but I am in control - and the work does not take so long or feel so hard when I am less exhausted.

Do post on here whenever, because together we make a great team - and tomorrow I may well need another friend.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for your helpful reply. I think I will have a chat with work and see what they will let me do.

• Hi Jai I have actually been to see my Gp this morning and I am now taking sick leave as I to am physically and emotionally drained which will hopefully give me the time to recharge. 
    it’s so difficult and my heart goes out to you x