Carer for my mum with breast cancer for second time

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi, 

In 2019 my mum was diagnosed with primary breast cancer in her left breast and we had 2 really hard years dealing with all that comes with that, chemo, radio and an operation. During that time I was her main cater. We got less than 12 months in to remission and after her yearly mammogram they found a lump in the other breast again primary breast cancer. We’ve all found it really difficult this time round as due to my job I can’t be her carer this time round and my dad although great is quite elderly and finding it tough. Last time I didn’t really ask for help but I feel like now looking back I should of asked for more help, she’s started chemo this week and it’s been so tough on all of us. I did use last time all of the macmillian books to help me answer questions and for tips on how to help but mum got rid of them all once she went in to remission because no one thought this would happen! It would be nice to talk to people who also understand because I feel like the people around me don’t really get it! 
I m very happy I have found and can be apart of this community!! 

• Hi and welcome to our community though so sorry to hear about your mum.

Glad you found the data from Macmillan useful last time. Reading your message this time it seems like perhaps your mum might benefit from a needs assessment and your dad from a carers assessment, that might help to ensure that the care they need and may help to reassure you too.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge