Feeling rock bottom today

• 13 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi

I feel like I have hit rock bottom and have nowhere else to go. We are still waiting for appointment with oncologist and G is deteriorating day by day. I fear that by the time we get an appointment he will be too poorly for treatment. Our GP surgery are hopeless and are no help at all. Our Macmillan nurse recommended that he has omeprazole to help with digestion but we have had to wait nearly a week for the surgery to sort it. Our Macmillan nurses are brilliant and very supportive but can only do so much. We feel a bit abandoned at the weekends as there is no support except for 111 and A&E which our nearest one is a three quarters of an hour drive away.  Sorry if this is a bit of a rant but I hope someone out there will understand how I am feeling.

Sue70 

• Hi Sue, 

it sounds and  feels  like a very stressful situation for you, and I know it is really traumatic watching somebody you love deteriorate in front of you. There is no easy way to deal with the waiting, that is so very difficult at times and the feeling of personal helplessness is harder then people realise. When you are trying your best to cope and stay strong. 
    Omeprazole is able to be purchased over the counter in the Uk which may be a faster solution for your situation shorter term. 
    I hope this is helpful for you, and that you are still able to find time to take care of yourself. There are also other organisations to reach out to such as the Samaritans which is available 24 hrs a day if you need some support for your own well-being.  

• Hello

macmillan have prescribing nurses, when I needed special meds for Linda, they did it immediately, worth checking.

Also the GP has access to urgent appointments, for such situations, please persue with your your GP, I know it’s not easy at such a time, but have to be insistent, it’s the only way

take care, sending you strength

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh the waiting is terrible.  I have to say our GP surgery have been rubbish.  I know it varies tremendously but if we were waiting for them we would have been in trouble.  Luckily our first surgeon was amazing and got us connected to all the right people (oncologist etc) and we have been well cared for by them.  One thing it took us to realise - I don’t think days and weeks delay matters much.  In the beginning we were on pins and needles waiting for 7 days for an appointment, or a month for surgery, while the care team was fairly relaxed about it.  Even though my husband has a very aggressive cancer, we now realise a week or two delay makes no difference for his prognosis.  So that may help in deciding whether to push harder or not.  If it’s been 3 weeks I would be knocking down doors for appointments and answers.  If it’s been 3 days I would be patient.  I hope that helps.  Cancer providers vary in competence, and it is hard to know when to shout and when to be patient.  Hugs to you.

• Thank you for replying. Feeling slightly better tonight. He has managed a bottle of Fresubin, some liquidised Sunday lunch and some soup at tea time. Our son came to see us and we all agreed we need to get things kick started before the three day Bank Holiday weekend coming up if we can. Going to try and get a GP appointment tomorrow to discuss a few things and see where we go from there. Hugs back to you.

• Sounds positive, which is always a plus Fingers crossed you get the GP appointment 

thinking of you 

• Have you tried calling Livi? Its connected to your GP surgery. I booked an on-line appointment this morning at 8.30 (via app on my phone) and had a video call with a doctor by 10am - prescription sent to me via the app aswell. i use it a lot more than the GP surgery these days. 

• Hello

i believe this is a fee based service, rather unsure if it’s suitable and if this constitutes advertising

• its not fee based - it used to be but its now NHS !!!!

• Hello

If that’s correct, them I’m sorry, on their website it says Pay as you go, unless you are eligible under the NHS, but doesn’t give the criteria for NHS qualification  

• if you need a prescription you pay for that - but for cancer there is an exemption anyway on all prescriptions. You dont pay for a consultation - like i said, you used to but not anymore :-)