Is there any physical support during COVID?

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi there, 

I'm looking for advice as to whether there is any physical (not virtual) support in the UK at the moment for carers or cancer patients? 

I'm at a loss with COVID as to what I should do for the best. I've just flown across the world to be with my parents following a shock cancer diagnosis but I have found there is no support for carers at the moment. 

I really feel like I need "real" people to talk to, or to walk with or escape with - but the cancer diagnosis in our family means that following chemo we will be living with a clinically extremely vulnerable patient. 

I'm looking for a job, as I'm going to go mad caring 24/7, but even that is terrifying in light of being careful not to being COVID in to the home. 

All of a sudden the world feels like a terrifyingly lonely place, but I can't sit on forums all day as it upsets me more reading all these stories than it would if I could get out and speak to people and exercise and work. 

Anyway, if anyone has any advice regarding support networks. Or advice about living with someone who is clinically extremely vulnerable that would be great. 

Thanks in advance 

Dredge 

• Hi

Sorry to hear about this diagnosis and the additional worry covid brings. In my current experience my workplace I find much safer than going shopping in terms of covid risk.

We do have a tool In your area that may help find something that might help though remember too that we can ring the helpline here to get support for us too.  If you have a Maggies anywhere near they may well offer the support you need.

You would likely be eligible for a carers assessment from your local council because all carers do the most fantastic job in the world but so many find themselves just like you - and when we break it can just make everything worse.

Hope that helps.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge