Ovarian cancer

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

I just can’t get my poor mum off my mind,she has stage 3c cancer and is 74yrs old. We were told few weeks ago that there is no more they can do for her.she has trouble with her kidneys as she has stents put in an bags on her back to collect urine. She can’t keep much food down either .Macmillen are due out next week but I don’t know what for as mum an dad won’t talk about it….I also that a hospice it due to call next week too.   Mum was asked if she would like to know how long but she said no…….wish I knew….if anyone who has been through ovarian cancer please give me time line please..many thanks I’m lost an heartbroken

• Hi @dizzy,

When my wife was first diagnosed with Leiomyosarcoma she was very clear she did not want to know "low long" and I really struggled with that, especially as our son was quite young at the time.  In my journey however I have come to see that any prognosis is mostly an educated guess based on historical average data - and therefore often less that reliable.

I have certainly seen many people on here outlive a prognosis, seen others who if feels a bit like they gave up and died to order and of course sometimes patients fail to make a prognosis and then their families often feel robbed again.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge