Having to rehome my beautiful dog

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

i am so so sad today - my husband is back in hospital - chemo not been able to take place this week due to other complications including his kidneys not working properly. Had to hear from his sister who went with him supposdedly for the chemo that if he has a heart attack they wont resuscitate him. So many trips to and from hospital and i just feel i can't have the added complication of caring for our dog aswell. So with a heavy heart i made the decision this morning that he needs a new forever home. I have found him one and he'll be collected on saturday but i adore him. I know its the right thing to do and as Milo is only 16 months old he is very boisterous and my husband will get more frail - my heart is breaking for so many different reasons. I know he will be well cared for and loved but thats not the point - he's my baby. i never thought i would have to do this 

• Hi Hermes Im confused, are you your husbands next of kin and registered as such on his forms? .If you are then the hospital has no right to tell his sister this and you should be complaining to them as they should ONLY be talking to you and you say who can and cannot have information. 

It is sad that you are having to rehome the dog is there no family or friends who could help with him during this time or is their a Fostering service nearby that could foster him until you are able to take him back? If this is an option try calling the RSPCA who may know of something nearby which would allow yo to get the help you need and keep the dog at the same time. Just a thought? xxxx

gail

Community Champion Badge

• HI Hermes

I see Gail has already replied but I second her thoughts here. It certainly doesn't seem right that your sister-in-law gets told information that you should  have been told first.  My personal experience of getting information and updates on my husband's condition hasn't been great but that feels wrong to me.

With regards to the dog, have you spoken to your vet? They too might be able to suggest something to help in the interim. Seems such a shame to have to part with your fur baby when you could most likely do with those puppy cuddles. Hope you can reach a compromise here.

Sending you a huge virtual hug. Stay strong.

love n hugs  

Wee me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm