Can not handle the unlnown

• 5 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi my mum has had ovarian cancer for two years.she has had operations an two rounds of chemo.she has also has blocked kidneys which she now wears bags on her back.and blocked bowels.last week we were told there was no more that they can do for her.we are all shocked..my dad looks after her at home an my sister an I both have young family’s to look after as well as helping dad out as much as we can..she was asked if she would like to know how long she has left but she said no…..the problem with that as my sister an I both feel like we need to know as we are both living in fear of the time coming..we can’t sleep an can’t function day to day as we both feel we need to know just to help mum an for peace of mind….we are all totally devastated…it’s just good to talk .as mum won’t talk about it 

• Hi Dizzy and welcome to our community.

I get what you mean about wanting to know how long - my wife never wanted a prognosis and I really struggled with that.

It is worth noting though that nobody really knows, the oncology team will make a guess based on averages but who is the average anyway. In terms of the impact on us fear is quite normal, we can also get angry then sometimes pass to acceptance. Lack of sleep is of course a real challenge and their are some tips here.

I bet your mum is really proud of her grandchildren, perhaps one important part to remember and one we talk about often on here is remembering to look after ourselves - I know I got it fairly wrong in the past and came close to breaking and that really helped nobody.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• I feel exactly the same. We got mum's diagnosis yesterday and she's genuinely not worried about a timeline. I completely understand why she feels that way and am trying to accept that knowing doesn' set it in stone and maybe the uncertainty is actually better? Maybe then I can concentrate on enjoying the time we have together instead of counting the time we have together? This is all so new, Ihave no clue if this will even work for me. Sending love to you ️ 

• Hi, my mum was diagnosed with primary peritoneal cancer 3 years ago and never wanted to know how long. She’s been through chemo/Avastin and radiotherapy as it spread to her uterus. She was in the middle of more chemo but it was recently stopped as wasn’t working and the cancer is spreading now. She finally asked and was told 6 months. My dad also looks after her at home and me and my brother do what we can. My dad has had skin cancer and bowel cancer and last year was diagnosed with prostate cancer. She has heart problems too and needs regular blood transfusions and now magnesium transfusions. It’s a sad time. I’ve recently started antidepressants which are helping me a lot. I was crying every day but now I can’t cry at all. I feel a bit robotic actually. My son also had a brain tumour when he was 5 but is 20 now and doing well although takes multiple medications. Sorry for long post! 

• Hi so sorry to hear about your mum,it’s 2years today when we first heard the dreadful news that she has cancer….it’s heartbreaking seeing mum everyday getting weaker and weaker…..sending you my love x

• Oh I’m so sorry to hear all that….this cancer is one B@&*$ted….