• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My husband has recently had intensive radiotherapy for small brain tumours but will also have to face chemo for lung cancer. He is of slight build and has lost weight and muscle tone and needs building up even though his appetite is impaired at the moment. He was just on Fortisip which he hates but is now eating real food but dislikes milkshakes and I am struggling to find calorie rich foods that he will eat. I do make milk puddings and use cream when I can. I would be grateful for any other suggestions. 

• Hi

Sorry to hear about your husband - my wife sometimes struggled a bit with chemo and we had once or twice occasions where she would be sick.

There is a booklet available by download that might be helpful to you - here.

It can be hard as a carer if our loved ones are not eating as well as we might hope and even more so it they are sick, it can sometimes help to try to get them to lead or at least partner with us.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• We had similar problems last year when my husband was discharged from hospital. He had ensure juice drinks, instead of the milkshakes,  prescribed by the dietician. He loved some flavours and others were awful, but you can ask for the flavours you like. Also he liked milkshakes with ice cream added. Might be worth a try. Change to full fat milk if he will drink that, and add cheese to things. My hubby likes Horlicks at night.  Little snacks between meals. A biscuit or small piece of cake may not look much but it adds up through the day. 

• Thanks for that - I have downloaded the book. Adding cheese is a good idea too and I am using full fat milk in cereals and milk puddings.