I suppose I'm a carer now

• 16 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Forty seven years ago eyes met across a crowded room and I was facing the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen. We've been very happily married for most of that time, still as ridiculously in love as we were when we were teenagers.

Two weeks ago we thought she might have a DVT, but the scan found a mass. We don't know what it is but it's not pleasant. I've just taken her in to hospital for her first appointment and I've a feeling there are going to be a lot more. This is going to mean a lot of time off work.

I suppose that makes me a carer.

Somehow I've got to be strong, go on driving and cooking, hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Oh dear God, how am I going to do this?

R

• Thanks very much for your support.

• Hello

Just read your post. You are winning. Well done. Take small steps everyday. No one expects you to have all the answers either.Be proud of yourself. Courage!! I do understand it is difficult.

Hugs from Fifinet xxx

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "
  • Two sessions in and she is visibly better. I've gone from "Is she going to make it to the weekend?" to "What are we doing this weekend?"

She had lost a lot of weight because she couldn't eat, so now it's time to pump up the calories. I've had a bulk shipment of desserts from Tesco and fridge is full, but emptying rapidly.

Best of all she's been able to get on her horse again, just for a gentle walk, no show jumps- yet.

We are going in the right direction, thank you God.

• That's good to hear. You're obviously doing a great job of looking after your wife and it sounds like you're very organised. It's amazing what strength we can find when it comes to caring for our loved ones.  I think while they need us we focus on them and I find thats what gets me through 

I hope your wife continues to improve and that you stay well too x

• Very sorry to hear about your wife. Hoping that you are both getting through the radiotheraphy. Having things to organise, and routines and strategies to set up has certainly helped me to get through each day but ‘crying my eyes out’ is good too and it helps. I call it ‘closeted weeping’  and it is a release for me and has been since the beginning of my cancer  journey. Things have changed in recent months and my husband and I now cry together at times and that’s OK. 

Crying at the right times, in safe spaces, alone or with others does us good. Don’t feel you shouldn’t. 

Keep going, you’re ‘winning’ everyday, even when you feel you aren’t. 

• Thanks for your support. Chemotherapy is beginning to show signs of working, she is much better now.