Metallic taste

• 3 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hello

My husband has just started chemotherapy and keeps getting the side effect of a metallic taste in his mouth.

Anything recommended for him to eat / drink / suck to help with this please?

• Hi , yes chemo mouth can be a challenge. The main things that worked for me was eating fresh Pineapple and/or Melon.... also crush some Pineapple and/or Melon and put some into ice cube trays and freeze them......

He needs to be drinking a minimum of 2 liters of water a day as this flushes out the chemo toxins (canhelp the taste as well) and protects his Kidneys.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello Mike,

Thanks for the reply and great user name! :-)

Thanks for the advice as well, he's drinking lots of water but the pineapple is really helpful.  He's also getting hiccups A LOT!! :-( Any experience of this and suggestions to help please?  He's currently breathing into a bag to cure them but its not ideal really.

Thanks again and best wishes. 

• Community name based on where I stay Wink

I had bad hiccups when I was in hospital and I was given a ‘blue pill’!!!!! and it did the trick every time so do ask his clinical team or post your question to our Cancer Nurse Team in our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge