Head and neck radiotherapy

• 4 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi  all, its  been 4 months  since  Myspace  treatment finished but  I  unable to eat more than cereal in the  morning  and  a built up  drink morning and  evening,  my  taste  is  starting to  return but its far from how it was, my  stomach has  shrunk and I am  always full, I been told to eat little and often but that is easier said than done when I  am  full  and  most foods  just  become impossible to swallow due to lack of saliva,  I just  started taking  tablets to  help with saliva but they take 4 to  8 weeks to work. 

I was  wondering if anyone else has this problem as 4 months  on  I am wasting away having lost  two  stones  in  weight. 

Regards Andrew. 

• Hi Andrew and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear how you're struggling at the moment. The community has lots of cancer specific groups so I thought I'd recommend one for you to join so that you can ask this question directly to others with a similar diagnosis.

I had a little look at your profile, to see what type of cancer you're being treated for, but you haven't completed it yet. I also drew a blank when I googled 'Myspace treatment' but, as you gave your post the title 'head and neck radiotherapy', I'm assuming that this is the area that your cancer is in. If this is right then clicking on this link will take you to the head and neck cancer group.

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

However, if I've got the wrong end of the stick please let me know which type of cancer you're being treated for and I'll give you a direct link to that group.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank I have  updated my  profile hope it helps. 

A R H.
  • Hi 

Thanks very much for completing you profile as I can now see that you had treatment for cancer in your mouth and nose. The head and neck cancer group that I mentioned in my previous reply would be a good group for you to join and post your question in.

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

You might find this information from Macmillan on how to increase your weight useful. They also do this booklet called Recipes for People Affected by Cancer which you could download. Many of the recipes include ingredients that are high in fat or sugar, to help you get enough energy and maintain your weight during cancer treatment. They are designed to be appetising and to encourage you to eat, even when you don’t feel like it.

Wishing you all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Andrew,

Hope you’re doing ok. I know your post was over a year ago, but I’m due to have radiotherapy on my neck C2 and wondered if you could give some advise on what to expect, side effects, basically anything that you think I may need to know. 

Thank you in advance 

Lucy