Sigmoid removal - should I have reversal?

• 1 reply
  • 3 subscribers

Hi,

I'm an active mum who loves to hike and be outdoors. I've had an ilestomy since november 2021 due to a tumour in my sigmoid colon, this was removed and I have chemotherapy. 

I've been told I'm ready for a reversal and the hospital has tried to book me in on several occasions to have the surgery, but I've said not until I've spoken with the consultant. I want to know what life is going to be like post op. 

Have you had a reversal, did you make the right choice?

How has life been since?

My whole life I've struggled with an urgent need for the toilet, how I've not had speeding tickets is beyond me...I would dread eating out as this would normally result in a mad dash home, or worse an al fresco poo!

Since having my stoma I've been able to complete many hikes, eat out and generally have no worry about finding a toilet. Waking up each day with my stoma isn't great and I'd love to part with it is I can but am i stupid to consider having a reversal?

It would be good to hear from people who have had their sigmoid removed (referred to as 'the car park')

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Trying to decide on surgery or treatment can sometimes be very hard so I can understand why you want to connect with others who have had this surgery.

The online community is divided up into different support groups so I'm going to recommend that you join the ileostomy, colostomy and stoma group, which is a great place to ask your questions and share experiences.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"