New here. Post Surgery Blues

• 1 reply
  • 3 subscribers

Good Evening, 

I’m a tad nervous- not 100% sure what to write. 
I had surgery five weeks ago to remove a benign Warthin’s tumour from my salivary gland. When I went for my post op check, I found out it was cancerous. Warthin-like mucoepidermoid carcinoma- low grade. So face off again, part of the gland removed and some lymph nodes. Got another two weeks to wait for the results. 
      The surgery has left me with right side facial paralysis. Which should improve eventually. Thing is, I’m a teacher and am very worried about returning to work unable to speak clearly. 
     I think I’m wondering if anyone has had similar surgery? Or any coping strategies to deal with the waiting for results. Basically, I have major post op blues. 

thank you for taking the time to read

L

xxx

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

It must have been a big shock for you to discover that what you thought was a benign tumour was in fact malignant. I can remember the sense of shock I felt when I was told that what the dermatologist said was "nothing to worry about" was in fact cancerous.

Waiting for results is really horrible and I find that what works best for me is filling my time doing things that I enjoy so that I have less time to worry about the 'what ifs'. Lots of people find mindfulness really useful and you can find out more about that by clicking here.

As  you know, the online community is divided up into different support groups so I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you also join and post in the head and neck cancer group which is a great place to ask questions, share experiences and get support from others who will understand what you're going through.

To join just click on the link I've created and then join and post in the same way as you did here. You can also join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you feel up to it, it would be good if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"