Newly Diagnosed

• 3 replies
  • 13 subscribers

I’m 40 years old and almost 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer, invasive ductal carcinoma, grade 2, hormone receptor positive, HER-2 negative. I went in with a lump under my arm which they thought was nothing but they said they’d do a mammogram to be sure. It seems the lump is showing up clear but the mammogram picked up abnormalities in my left breast and a biology confirmed breast cancer.

I’ve had an MRI and a CT scan and I have a bone scan on Friday. 

I’ve a meeting on Tuesday my consultant to discuss the plan moving forward. The waiting has been so hard and I just want it dealt with immediately. It’s hard being in limbo but I’m hoping Tuesday will be a chance to get answers and once I have a plan I’ll be able to focus on moving forward.

I am a mother of 3 children, 20, 16 and 15 and my youngest has her JC in 2 weeks so I’ve made a choice not to tell any of them until that’s over to give her the best chance. I don’t know if that’s the right thing to do.

I’m just so scared. I can’t sleep and I just feel so lost. My mind is wandering to all the worst places 

• Hi Pisces25, I’m so sorry you’re having such a hard time, the waiting is really tough isn’t it! My timeline is similar to yours, I had a biopsy on Easter Saturday and got the results three weeks later to say I’ve grade 3 cancer in my breast and the lymph nodes biopsies. I had my bone scan a few weeks ago and that was clear, had my CT on Saturday and I’m awaiting results for that. I’ve got my first oncology meeting on Tuesday and I’m really hoping they’ve got the scan results as well as my treatment plan. I’ve told my two children but they don’t have exams or anything coming up. I don’t blame you at all for not telling yours yet as it’s for great reasons. I’m sending you lots of positive energy and really hoping you manage to get some sleep tonight, I know it’s not easy!! Xx

• Feeling very frustrated after my meeting yesterday was cancelled as CT scan results not back and now I have to wait another week.

I know it can’t be helped but I was so ready to find out more and begin moving forward so this just feels like a kick in the gut and I’m in limbo again for another week. 

the waiting is so hard

• I’m so sorry your meeting was cancelled, the waiting is awful isn’t it, even when you try to be busy the thoughts keep coming back with the ‘what if’s’. I don’t know if it’s the same in your area but I’ve found that since I got my diagnosis the breast care nurses will talk me through all results, new and old. I’d maybe give them a ring and see if they’ll go through the CT with you when it comes in. Don’t feel like you’re hassling them if you leave a message everyday, they understand how anxious we all are. Is there a Maggie’s centre where you live? They’re really good listeners there and it’s face to face but I think they’re shut for the bank holiday now Xx